Hurt in a Car Accident? You Have Legal Rights!
An Attorney Will Fight for Fair Compensation
The true cost of even a seemingly minor car accident can be massive. Your injuries may take weeks, months or years to heal. You may be left permanently disabled or with chronic pain. Beyond that, there is damage to your vehicle or other personal property, lost wages while recovering from your injury, and many other expenses.
Your crash wasn’t your fault, and you shouldn’t be on the hook for those expenses. You need a car accident lawyer from Ardalan & Associates to fight for you. We’re dedicated to making sure people hurt in accidents get all of the compensation they need, and we hold reckless and irresponsible drivers accountable for their actions.
There are Many Types of Compensation in Car Accident Claims. Don’t Let the Insurance Leave You on the Hook
The types of compensation you may be entitled to receive after a car accident include:
- Medical bills, both past and future, for treatment of your injuries sustained in the accident. Note that you can sue for compensation for medical bills even if you have health insurance. The at-fault driver’s car insurance company will reimburse your health insurance carrier – this is known as subrogation, and it can help keep your premiums down.
- Lost wages while you were recovering from your injuries. This may apply if you had to take time off from work while recovering, work a reduced number of hours or take on a “light duty” position with reduced pay. Again, you can still claim compensation for lost wages even if you were able to use sick leave or vacation time to get paid. You may be able to use this compensation to “buy back” the paid time off from your employer if desired.
- Lost earning potential if your ability to earn suffers permanently. This may be the case if you have a long-term disability, or if you missed out on a raise or promotion that would have been yours were it not for the time you lost due to the accident.
- Modifications to your home or vehicle if you are permanently disabled and need additional help getting around.
- Replacement services such as childcare, cleaning, and maintenance, to take care of your home and family while you are recovering from your injuries.
- Repairs or replacement to your vehicle and any other personal property damaged in the crash, such as child car seats.
- Diminished value. Even if all of the damage to your car is repaired, the car itself will still be worth less with an accident in its history. The at-fault driver’s insurance should reimburse you for this diminished value.
- Pain and suffering. While this is a somewhat subjective term, the physical and emotional pain suffered due to your injuries are very real. If the accident left you with chronic pain, your pain and suffering award could be quite substantial.
- Loss of consortium. A person permanently disabled by an accident may not be able to provide family members with the same level of care, companionship and mentorship that they could before. Legally, this is known as loss of consortium, and it can be quite significant in cases involving brain injury or paralysis.
In essence, if you have suffered a real, demonstrable loss due to another driver’s negligence or recklessness, you may be entitled to compensation. And remember, in most cases, the compensatory damages (financial compensation) awarded in a car accident claim are tax-exempt. The government understands that these funds are meant to make you whole again after a loss; they are not taxable “income.”
People Hurt in Crashes Have Rights. Our Mission is to Protect Them
We know that many people hurt in car crashes end up settling for much less than they need because they don’t know about the many types of compensation available to them. That’s why we’re happy to meet with you for a free consultation. Even if you choose not to retain our firm, we want you to be aware of your legal rights.
If you’ve been hurt in a crash, a Woodland Hills car accident attorney is here to help make you whole again. Contact us online or call (888) 259-5861.